Sunday, November 10, 2013

The day I lost my marbles

I am part of a theatre group called Yours Truly Theatre (YT) and am doing a theatre season workshop for a year. This entails attending lovely classes and performances to a varied set of audiences and below is an account of our eighth performance but our first one which was a Sunday Interactive Performance (SIP) open to public. Our play was in 'complete the story format' (CTS), where the story is stopped at a critical juncture and the audience are encouraged to share their experiences, views and eventually arrive at a sequence of events or endings. These are enacted by the actors on the spot and this is one of the improvisation theatre formats. Our show was hosted on 27 Oct 2013, at our theatre space called YT ALMA. Below is my thoughts that flew down the keyboard to  monitor on the very next day.  Here goes!
 
 
 
Yesterday  was the first public show for paid audience. The word “paid” was driving us nuts as we were worried that we were not good enough and worried sick if we will be able to complete the story and not make a royal fool of ourselves. We had given seven performances to varied audiences but this one was special – why? I think we mentally emphasized the paid audience as deserving value for the notes that they had shelled out – there was a lot of pressure to perform. Before the show started, we were seated in front of the stage and speaking to each other – mostly because we were nervous and I was singing a song (that too a very lilting sensuous tamil number) that I had watched on TV the previous day. Each of us have our own way of coping with pre –show jitters, I think!!
As soon as the audience were seated, I was turning to see how many people had filled up. I refrained from counting heads and tried to whisper my anguish to Lisha and Sankalp – who were completely chilled out. All of us were awestruck by the brilliance of the first performance – “The Bully team.” Every show, I felt they were moving it a notch higher and true to form, they completely out did themselves. We were called next. The entire “Music team” performance was surreal. I felt the back drop was made for us, the balloons were beautiful and ALMA** was completely transformed just to house our very own story. The story of dreams, aspirations, love, rejection and success again (atleast that is my favourite ending in the CTS) Our CTS was brought to life by our entire team so beautifully. For all the time during practice when we agonized ‘will our CTS be too long or too short? Will it be too confusing with all of us being clueless? Will our audience like it?’ Yesterday, I felt our CTS portion was just PERFECT. I fell a little in love with the whole team yesterday – you guys and girls, rock!!
 
If I do not mention the third “Fear team,” I will be doing a serious disservice. The only thing that I wanted to ask both Aditya and Charit, how did you do that reflection scene to such perfection? You were glimpses of GOD!!
To Anusha, Madhukar and Radhika – my heartfelt thanks for giving our show colour, aesthetics and musical appeal. For our gurus – Nandini, Sumit and Vishal – there is a reason why you should be called our gurus – you took our play to the next level. When did our performance get infused with so much of a comic element without losing the essence? Vanakkam, Vandanam, Nandri. We are gifted to learn with you and from you.
 
**Every SIP, the way ALMA transforms itself (through the creative volunteers and directors) is a revelation. In my mind, ALMA is a beautiful person transforming himself/ herself every time to suit the show – Remember the back drop for Kannada Kavya Chilume, Masala Improv comedy, SIP whatever it was – ALMA looks different and beautiful each time, without fail. I love ALMA for that!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment